Today we would like to review our new found love : Suiskin’s Panacea Program. This set consists of the Essence called Biological Fermento Panacea and the Moisturizer called Biological Fermento Moisture.
Like all Suiskin products, they are based on Nano Technology and the Skin Lipid Barrier Technology. However this program introduces the NFT ( Nano-bio Fermentation Technology ). Ingredients are fermented at 36.9 Degrees and extracted.
The objective of these two products are to increase your skin’s NMF – called the Natural Moisturizing Factor and decrease the T.E.W.L ( Trans Epidermal Water Loss ) – this is written on the products packaging itself!
Fermento and natural lipid factors rapidly repairs the skin barrier and prevents TEWL so that the dermal moisture may be retained in the skin.
These products are Alcohol-Free, Paraben-Free, Mineral Oil- Free and Coloring-Free, and Fragrance-Free.
What is NMF and TEWL and Why is it so important?
Extracted from here
For many years, epidermal water content has been known to be crucial for skin plasticity and the prevention of “dry skin”. Traditionally, moisturization was believed to inhibit trans epidermal water loss (TEWL) by occlusion. Water originates in the deeper epidermal layers and moves upward to hydrate cells in the stratum corneum (SC), eventually being lost to evaporation.
The SC architecture is the most important factor in water flux and retention in the skin, and in overall level of moisturization.The four key processes for the formation and functioning of the SC are the corneocyte process, SC lipid process, natural moisturizing factor (NMF) process, and desquamation process.6 Corneocytes are the physical barrier of the SC and, when hydrated, contribute to elasticity. The lipid bilayers of the SC function as a moisture barrier and although they prevent the entry of many chemicals, they are the means of entry for most topically applied substances.
The NMF is found within corneocytes and is a mix of hygroscopic molecules that, by helping maintain hydration in the corneocyte, keep the SC hydrated. Half of the NMF is amino acids derived from the protein filaggrin in keratinocytes, and the other half is salts, including lactates, urea, and electrolytes. Production of NMF is directly related to external humidity. In desquamation, corneodesmosomes are degraded by water-dependent hydrolytic agents. When there is low moisture in the SC, these enzymes do not work efficiently. Corneocytes accumulate on the skin surface producing the signs of dry skin, e.g., when the moisture content is less than 10%, and when there is loss of continuity of the SC.2
The moisturizing treatment involves repairing the skin barrier, retaining/increasing water content, reducing TEWL, restoring the lipid barriers’ ability to attract, hold and redistribute water, and maintaining skin integrity and appearance. Moisturizers perform these functions by acting as humectants, emollients, and occlusives.7
Moisturizers containing collagen and other proteins, i.e., keratin and elastin, claim to rejuvenate the skin by replenishing its essential proteins but whether or not they have any effect on skin hydration is questionable.2 Moisturizers also act to reduce skin friction and increase skin hydration by providing water directly to the skin from their water phase and by increasing occlusion, as measured as a decrease in TEWL.8 Loden suggests that skin care products not only form an inert, epicutaneous layer, but that they also penetrate and influence the structure and function of the skin.9
Moisturizers have little effect on the mechanical properties (i.e., distensibility, hysteresis, and elasticity) of the skin but do increase skin hydration significantly, as shown by an increased skin capacitance.10 When moisturizers are used to improve skin plasticity it is suggested that lipid-rich formulations be used.11
The packaging of all Suiskin products are quite standardized. Elaborated in the Introducing Brands : Suiskin post. Products are label-sealed (see 3rd photo below), so make sure that your product is label-sealed when you purchase it!
The texture of the Essence is actually like milk itself. Even it’s color reminds us of milk Some essence are gel-liked or serum-like, but this essence has more of a watery feel to it. It’s not completely like water though – like what i said, it feels like texture of milk which is naturally thicker in texture than water.
It absorbs right into the skin and leaves it hydrated and DEWY! It however does feel a little sticky in the beginning but fret not! It might feel somewhat oily – but the feeling is more of a hydrating feeling. We love how it feels on the skin. The skin feels really smooth instantly and it brightens up the skin instantly.
Left Photo : Without essence. We then applied some essence on the half-right of the hand.
Right Photo : Dewy shiny skin on the right side where essence is applied.
The moisturizer is kind of thick in texture. After applying, it gives a light feeling that an emulsion would give, rather than the heavier feeling a cream gives – but the texture is more cream like.
We also really like the texture of this cream. It feels rather light but very hydrating ! It would be perfect for all skin types, and perfect for those with oily skin during winter. It also leaves a very dewy look after applying it.
For the next few tests, keep in mind that the cream was applied after the essence, and not just the cream alone !
Cream is applied on the right side of the hand. Do you see the difference?
Notice how the paper sticks to the skin? Even after vigorous shaking, only 2 pieces of paper fell off ! Notice how radiant and dewy my skin is ??
We subjected it to even more tests later.
We washed our hands under tap water. What do you notice between the left and the right part of the hand?
After washing our hands under running tap water, i shook my hand vigorously so get rid of the water! Did you notice that on the right part of the hand where the essence and cream was applied – water still stuck to it! This is what happens when the skin barrier is protected. It prevents water loss and locks moisture! Notice on the left side of the hand, the hand is dry and no water is on it?
A close-up look :
After more vigorous shaking :
As you can see above, this essence is packed with tons of goodies! Some of it i have gone through in my previous posts like Sodium Hyaluronate (which is the salts of Hyaluronic Acid) , Betaine, Allantoin etc. So i will pick those that i have never mentioned.
As this product serves in restoring the skin barrier, it contains ingredients to help repair and strengthen the skin barrier’s function (therefore mimicking ingredients in the skin barrier).
1. Lecithin – this word originates from the ancient greek word called lekithos which means egg yolk. Lecithin was first isolated from egg yolk in 1847 by French chemist Theorey Gobley.Lecithin can easily be extracted chemically (using hexane) or mechanically from readily available sources such as soy beans. It has low solubility in water. In aqueous solution its phospholipids can form either liposomes, bilayer sheets,micelles, or lamellar structures, depending on hydration and temperature.It strengthens the skin’s barrier function that that moisture content is optimised. Lecithin softens the skin and helps other ingredients penetrate the skin barrier.
2. Ubiquinone – known also as Co-enzymme Q10. Q refers to the quinone chemical group, and 10 refers to the number of isoprenyl chemical subunits in its tail. Ubiquinone naturally decreases with aging. When applied topically, Ubiquinone is thought to penetrate the skin easily, and reduce free radical damage via its antioxidant properties. It is also been found to assist cells in building collagen and elastin, therefore reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Ubiquinone also has properties that allow it to prevent or reduce oxidative damage to tissues, and may be more effective than Vitamin E at preventing this damage.
3. Adenosine – Adenosine is a nucleoside composed of a molecule of adenine attached to aribose sugar molecule (ribofuranose) moiety via a β-N9-glycosidic bond.Adenosine stimulates DNA synthesis, increases protein synthesis, and increases cell size. The invention also provides a method for promoting healing of non-diseased skin. The enhancement of skin will decrease the amount of wrinkling, roughness, dryness, laxity, sallowness, or pigmentary mottling in skin. Adenosine advantageously allows for the enhancement of the skin condition. This results in skin that shows a less wrinkled, rough, or dry complexion. For example, it provides for enhancing the condition of skin damage due to exposure to the sun or skin whose condition has deteriorated due to normal aging.
4. Artemisia Absinthium Extract/ Wormwood – It has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammation effects to prevent creation of harmful substances in advance and effectively soothe down skin troubles. However, there is no research showing this extract has any benefit for skin.
5. Nelumbo Nucifera Flower Extract / Sacred Lotus – medicinally versatile and used as an important raw material of age-old traditional medical practices like Ayurveda and folk medicine. The antibacterial and antifungal activities of flower extracts were comparable to those of selected chemical antibiotics suggesting their potential as alternatives to orthodox antibiotics in the treatment of infectious caused by these microorganisms.
6. Gentiana lutea (Gentian) root extract – Active part of the gentian plant, constituents of which are anti-inflammatory and antibacterial.
7. Arbutin – Hydroquinone derivative isolated from the leaves of the bearberry shrub, cranberry, blueberry, some mushrooms, and most types of pears. Because of arbutin’s hydroquinone content, it can have melanin-inhibiting properties. Although the research describing arbutin’s effectiveness is persuasive (even though most of the research has been performed on animals or in vitro), concentration protocols have not been established. That means we just don’t know how much arbutin it takes to have an effect in lightening the skin. Many cosmetics companies use plant extracts that contain arbutin, such as bearberry and mulberry leaf extract, but again, there is limited research, mostly animal studies or in vitro, showing that the arbutin-containing plant extracts used in skin-care products have any impact on skin. Whether or not these extracts are effective in the small amounts present in cosmetics has not been established.
1. Lactobacillus Ferment Extract – Lactobacillus fermented extract is made from soymilk fermented by several strains of lactobacillus and yeast via a symbiotic co-culturing technology. The composition of the agent includes amino acids, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, isoflavones, and saponins.
2. Niacinamide – also known as Vitamin B3 ( or rather the amide of Vitamin B3 Niacin). Aged fibroblasts secrete less collagen than young cells; niacinamide can stimulate new collagen synthesis. Niacinamide has a positive impact on connective tissue and gel matrix components of the skin, which is of particular significance in aged and photoaged skin.
Niacinamide in concentrations of 2 to 5% reduces human skin hyperpigmentation and facial spots formation.
Niacinamide regulates sebaceous lipid and improves acne. Topical niacinamide in the form of a commercial 4% gel has been shown to provide potent anti-inflammatory activity in the treatment of acne vulgaris while bacterial resistance is lacking. In-vitro Niacinamide produced significant dose-dependent reductions in total sebaceous lipogenesis and reductions in both triglyceride and fatty acid synthesis.
Niacinamide exerts multiple benefits on the appearance of ageing and photodamaged skin. A significant improvement in skin texture appearance over the application of a 5% niacinamide product was seen in women aged 35 to 60 years. The appearance shifted towards the finer, anisotropic features characteristic of younger skin while the appearance of hyperpigmented spots was significant improved.
Extracted from here.
3. Urea – Urea is actually the primary organic solid of urine. But don’t be turned off. It boosts the process of protein synthesis in the body and supplies essential nitrogen contents. It is a natural moisturizer that is found within the skin. This is why dry skin has very low levels of urea.
Urea contents in the body prove to be very advantageous for the skin as they promote the antibacterial and antiviral properties. In addition, urea also boosts the antimicrobial properties and because of this urea based skin care products require fewer preservatives.
Skin Care Benefits of Urea
Minimized Water Loss Urea reduces the amount of water that is lost through the skin’s epidermis and retains skin moisture for a longer period of time.
Effective Moisturization Urea has very high water-binding power because of which it helps to keep the skin well-moisturized. It also acts as an effective humectant and attracts moisture to the skin, especially the dry areas. In fact, it is a natural moisturizing factor (NMF) present in the outer layers of the skin. Because of this, it is extremely beneficial for skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
Strong Barrier Function Urea helps to accelerate the process of skin cell and skin regeneration process. This strengthens the barrier function of the skin and keeps it healthy. A strong skin barrier ensures stronger resistance against potential irritants.
Improved Penetration Because urea acts on the skin’s barrier, it helps other ingredients of skin care products to penetrate better within the skin surface
4. Resveratrol – is no stranger to the customers of the brand Caudalie. Resveratrol is a potent polyphenolic antioxidant that is abundant in red grapes and, therefore, in red wine (unfortunately for some of us, not in white wine). Resveratrol has been reported in numerous studies to be one of the most potent natural chemopreventive agents inhibiting the cellular processes associated with tumor development, including initiation, promotion, and progression. It also has significant anti-inflammatory properties. Conversely, there is research showing it to be associated with cell death when applied topically if skin is exposed to sunlight
We love both products. We really do! It goes highly recommended by Hope In A Blog. Not only it does what it claims to (which is moisturize!) , and one of us has even reported that it has whitened her skin after only 1 week of application ( the essence has whitening properties- due to Arbutin while Niacinamide in the cream also has whitening properties ).
The skin feels hydrated even after many hours without feeling too heavy and uncomfortable. This is the perfect product for Winter.
This product is suitable for all skin types, even more for those of us who are going through Winter. It might be a little too hydrating for those of you with Oily skin living in tropical countries – so just getting the Essence would be a good idea!
Another plus point is that these products are rightly priced. The set sells for about 52,000 Korean Wons. For more about the price and where to buy refer to the ‘Where To Buy’ section below. Other brands like SK-II and Su:m 37 charges more than 100$ for their fermented essence, therefore making this essence such a steal!
If you only have the means to try one product – we’d recommend the Essence over the cream.
And of course, these products are paraben, articifial coloring, alcohol, mineral oil and fragrance free – therefore making it suitable for the most sensitive skin too!
Where to purchase?
Here at their : Gmarket Page
The amazing and highly recommended by Hope In A Blog – the Panacea program is also on sales! : here
Also the Herbalium Deep Peel and Antioxydant Mask set is on promotion, if you buy the set, you get the amazing Panacea Moisturiser for FREE! : here
The Gmarket Suiskin site changes promotions and sales rather often – so check it time to time to get the best deal. For example we purchase the few items that were on Buy 1 Free 1 last week – and this week they were on sales!
Remember when you buy these items on Gmarket, at the ‘comments to seller’ box, type in : ‘recommended by http://hopeinablog.wordpress.com ! Please include some samples =)’
Check our their official website here
To be able to win samples / prizes and be updated , don’t forget to join us at facebook and twitter :